- has no capability to swap between different screens (doesn't eat C-a)
- runs in line-at-a-time mode with no tty emulation (you can sanely use it in emacs comint modes or from inside a script(1) session)
- has no features (less to go wrong)
- and thus doesn't need a configuration file either
server$ detachtty --dribble-file /var/log/cliki-dribble --log-file \ /var/log/detachtty.log --pid-file /var/run/cliki.pid \ /var/run/cliki-socket /usr/bin/lisp -eval '(load-system :telentweb)' \ -eval '(progn (telentweb::init) (telentweb::start))' \ client$ attachtty dan@server:/var/run/cliki-socket
to quit attachtty press ^\
Running via detachtty at startup
Start a script late .. i.e. S9xlispapp in rc[2|3].d/
#!/bin/sh su - user -c /path/to/lisp-app-scriptend S9xlispapp
#!/bin/sh detachtty --dribble-file /var/log/lisp-app-dribble --log-file \ /var/log/detachtty.log --pid-file /var/run/lisp-app.pid \ /var/run/lisp-app-socket /usr/bin/lisp -eval '(start-lisp-app)'end lisp-app-script
-quasi (credit to Eduardo Muñoz for this information)
A more featureful init.d startup script for debian and compatible linuxes is introduced in https://boinkor.net/2006/02/starting-daemonized-lisp-images-in-debian/
apparently, it worked on macos at one time, but that is no longer true under macos 10.4 (tiger). It seems that tiger's poll does not work as advertised. it works on Tiger using poll-emulator from MacPorts ("OS_LOADLIBES=-lpoll -L/opt/local/lib" is the only change required to make it work on Intel, but I'm having some issues on PPC)
i386 Debian and source packages (currently at version 9) are at
ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/lisp/detachtty/. This package is also
available in the main Debian repository. There's also a FreeBSD port, misc/detachtty, which you can get from the ports tree.
A new version, which includes the ability to set timeouts and pass code to the detach'd lisp (for better scriptablity) is available in the darcs repo at:
Patches against that code would are more than welcome.
When I started my Lisp image at Systemstart I got always errors like:
c-string encoding error (:external-format :ASCII): the character with code 195 cannot be encoded. [Condition of type SB-INT:C-STRING-ENCODING-ERROR]
But it worked when I tried to start my Lisp image via the init.d script in the comandline.
The problem was solved when I added the following declarations to my init.d script:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 export LC_CTYPE
See also: comp.lang.lisp thread